I kind of love this scene. Sally’s so intuitive and kind and strong and I think Relena and her would probably have gotten along normally, but she makes the mistake of telling Relena exactly what Relena herself already noticed about Heero - that he’s “cute” and “has a wild look about him” and “inner strength” which causes Relena to automatically turn into what she is - a 15 year girl with a crush - and she proceeds to just sass the crap out of Sally as she tries to dissuade her interest in Heero. And the best part is that Sally just seems to find it amusing.
Wow, that just totally changed my understanding of the scene. I originally thought Relena was trying to somehow protect Heero’s identity from Sally by playing coy, but that explanation really does go along with Relena’s pre-episode 5 mindset. : )
I think she was doing both - trying to protect Heero and being annoyed with Sally. The look at her face when Sally described him as cute and how hostile she reacts tipped me off to look closer at the scene. I mean let’s look at the times Relena has reacted with open hostility-
- To Dr. J to some degree when asking why Heero must fight Oz all by himself
- To Lady Une after she killed Relena’s father.
- Toward Zechs because, I believe, he was an OZ soldier and was fighting Heero to the death.
- To some old fogies talking about destroying the gundams I think (when Noin had to escort her out lol)
- Then she pretty much calms the hell down after embracing the Peacecraft name…until Heero implies he’s going to try suiciding and she ain’t trying to have none of that.
- Then toward Mariemaia because she kidnapped her and tried to start a revolution to break the peace everyone had sacrificed so much for.
- Oh yeah, and to Sally. Why? Because she said Heero was cute XD
Seriously, all of her anger is being protective of the men she loves and the goals they worked toward. And 4/7 was directly to do with solely Heero.